September 29, 2008 – SECRET IDENTITIES: The Asian American Superhero Anthology to be published by The New Press in April 2009 -- has begun seeking opportunities at universities/colleges to host a book event during Asian American Heritage Month from April to May 2009.
Possible programming includes:
- Showcasing a traveling gallery of original artwork from celebrity contributors (James Kyson Lee, Sung Kang, Kelly Hu, Aaron Yoo, Beau Sia, Yul Kwon) that will be auctioned off for Cartoonists Across America - a literacy program.
- A 30 min documentary, highlighting a sampling of the stories as animated films.
- Discussion on the stories inspired by actual events/people (internment camps, Atomic bombs, Vincent Chin, Wen Ho Lee, Transcontinental Railroad, Vietnam Airlifts).
- An interactive workshop where participants "audition" for roles portrayed by AA’s on film/tv to demonstrate the need for projects, like SI -- to create strong, 3-dimensional heroes and role-models.
- Q&A panel with editors/local contributors and book signing.
Interested parties may fill out a request form under the “THE TOUR” at http://www.secretidentities.org/ or inquire at email@example.com. An interactive tourmap is also available there for organizations to view existing events to minimize travel expenses.
About SECRET IDENTITIES:
SECRET IDENTITIES uses the conventions of the superhero comic book to expose the real face of the Asian American experience, usually hidden behind the mask of misperception and stereotype.
This groundbreaking anthology brings together top Asian American creators in the comics industry—including Gene Yang (American Born Chinese), Bernard Chang (Wonder Woman), Greg Pak (The Hulk), Sonny Liew (Liquid City), Greg LaRocque (The Flash), Christine Norrie (Black Canary Wedding Special), and Francis Tsai (Heroes for Hire)—as well as new and established creators from film (Mike Kang), television (Keiko Agena) and literature (Jamie Ford), to craft original graphical short stories set in a compelling "shadow history" of our country: from the building of the railroads, to the Japanese American internment, atomic bombings, the Vietnam airlift, the murder of Vincent Chin and the groundless incarceration of Dr. Wen Ho Lee.
For more info: http://secretidentities.org/preview.pdf or http://secretidentitiesbook.blogspot.com/
"SECRET IDENTITIES" CURRENT TOURMAP
CommunityWalk Map - SECRET IDENTITIES BOOK TOUR